It's all over pinterest, heck, I have a preeeeetty awesome board about capsule wardrobes, you can check it out here.
But for a lot of people, it's really overwhelming to think about getting the whole thing started! I mean, for real, less than 30 pieces for ..... how long?!? What about laundry?? How do you have clean clothes?? What?!?!
In light of that, I thought I'd share my secrets of how I made it work for me.
1. Pick out your favorites. Don't worry about the season, just your favorites. Here are 2 of mine:
Liz Claiborne Navy Blue Jacket
Old Navy Black and White Stripped Dress
2. What do you LOVE about these items? (And yes, you can definitely have more than 2 favs!)
I love pockets on dresses, though that Old Navy one does not have pockets.
I love to feel comfortable in my clothes.
I need my clothes to be wash and wear.
I love good quality.
I love and need to be able to move easily in my clothes when I'm working.
3. Pick out the things that you like to wear with those favorites.
Do you have 5 outfits? Could you make 5 outfits easily?
4. Now get the items you'd need for after work, bed, working out, gardening, etc. But follow those same 3 rules; favorites only, things you love, and whatever else you need to finish the job, maybe a jacket for running when it's cooler or pj bottoms that go with a favorite top, etc.
5. You should have around 30 pieces of clothing. If all of it is one season, you have the beginning of your capsule wardrobe! If it's not, see what else you need to finish off that season and try to only pick the items that follow your rules.
6. Once you have a season of clothes, pick your favorite shoes and accessories that coordinate with most of those clothing items.
You've made a capsule wardrobe!
7. Worried about laundry? Make sure you have 5 work outfits and 1 back up. If you can't repeat clothing items during the week, pick a monday outfit, a tuesday outfit, etc. Then repeat them each week slight variations of accessories. You only have laundry once a week, and your outfits are ready to go each week!
As a teacher, I have 5 outfits for each quarter of the school year. On Monday of Quarter 1 I wear the same thing each week. But, when quarter 2 comes, I switch to the next set of clothes. The kids (and teachers) don't really notice until around week 7 or later and by then it's almost over!
If you want to keep the other things to see if you need them, while you try it out, go for it.
I hope this has helped you venture into the world of capsule wardrobes! If you have other suggestions for starting a capsule wardrobe, feel free to share in the comments below!